Born in 1863 in the family of a hereditary nobleman. John Edel graduated from the School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture of the Moscow Art Society. Since 1888 he taught drawing at the Baku Mariyinsky Women's Gymnasium. In 1890, according to the project of the architect, the construction of two houses of Musa Naghiyev on Birjevaya Street (now Uzeyir Hajibayov Street) began, one of which housed the Winter Club of the Baku Public Assembly. According to his project of John Edel, the Church of the Savior was also built at the «S.M.Shibaev and K». The church was closed in 1929 and subsequently demolished. The architect is the author of several dozen significant buildings in Baku. After the October Revolution in Russia in 1917 and the formation of the Soviet Union, John Edel worked as an architect in the Baku City Council. The architect John Edel died on February 14, 1932.