Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator

Architect Carl Gustav Gippius

Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator. The consecration of the temple and the laying of the foundation of the Armenian church took place in 1869. Construction lasted several years and ended in 1871. Three years later, a parochial school, a library and residential buildings were erected next to the church.

The author of the project for the building of the Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator was the German architect Carl Gustav Gippius (1832 - 22.08.1880), who graduated from the St.Petersburg Academy of Arts.

In 1888, bells were installed on the church, and only after that the temple began to fully function.

The Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator was built with funds donated by Javad Melikov.

In 2002, on the basis of the church, which is on the balance sheet of the presidential administration of Azerbaijan, the library of the Administration for Affairs of the Office of the President of Azerbaijan was formed. Therefore, the building is currently used as a library and book depository.

The building is protected by the Azerbaijani state as an architectural monument.